The Spanish language program offers seven levels of language learning for adults wishing to learn, improve, and practice their Spanish language skills. Four terms are offered per year; (Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer Intensive) and 3 new workshops have been added for Interim practice. The courses are student-centered, interactive and taught in an intimate, casual, and professional learning atmosphere with an average of 12 students per class. Teachers are trained in the Communicative Language Teaching methodology and use a variety of teaching strategies and activities to encourage student participation and engagement. For more information about class levels, read the Class Level Descriptions.
2015 – 2016 Class Sessions
CULTURAL COMMUNICATION WORKSHOP – December 1, 3, 8 and 10 – $80.00
- Registration by phone starting Oct. 1. No testing pre-requisite – Beg 3 through Advanced recommended
- 8 hour workshop, meeting on Tues and Thurs eves 6:30-8:30 pm for 2 wks
WINTER 2016: January 12 – March 17, 2016 $200.00
- Testing/Registration Jan 5, 6, 7 at 6:30 pm (no appointment necessary)
- 10 weeks – classes meet Tuesday, Wed or Thursday evenings; 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.
SPRING 2016: April 12 – June 16, 2016 $200.00
- Testing/Registration April 5, 6, 7 at 6:30 pm (no appointment necessary)
- 10 weeks – classes meet Tuesday and Thursday evenings; 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.
SUMMER INTENSIVE: July 12 – Aug 18, 2016 $200.00
- Testing/Registration July 5, 6, 7 at 6:30 pm (no appointment necessary)
- 6 weeks – classes meet Tuesday, Wed and Thursday evenings; 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.
- $200 per semester/session (20 classroom hours) – payment is required to reserve your place in class.
- $80 workshops (8 classroom hours each)
- $25 one-time, new student registration/testing
- $25 textbook – available at front desk. One book covers 3 levels
- Payment may be made in cash, checks made out to the International Institute of Minnesota, or by credit card (VISA or MasterCard only) at the front desk or over the phone
Class Schedule: During Academic year – All classes meet one day/week – 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.
- Tuesday: Beginning 1, Intermediate 1, Intermediate 2
- Wednesday: Beginning 1, Beginning 2, Beginning 3, Advanced
- Thursday: Beginning 2, Intermediate 3
Grammar Focus Workshops – $80.00/each
March 22, 24, 26, 29 and 30, 2016 – 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. (8 classroom hours) Tuesday and Thursday
- Preterit vs Imperfect – target levels: Beginning 3 – Intermediate 2
- Concentrated practice to understand the subtle differences between the preterit and imperfect; here is an opportunity to master the differences between the two!
June 21, 23, 28, 30, 2016 – 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. (8 classroom hours) Tuesday and Thursday
- Subjunctive Mood – target levels: Intermediate 2- Advanced
- This workshop will hone your skills in applying the subjunctive, a mood that is rarely used in English, but it is widely used in Spanish.
December 1, 3, 8 and 10, 2015 – 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. (8 classroom hours) Tuesday and Thursday
- Cultural Communication – target levels: High Beginning through Advanced
- Learn colloquial expressions, idioms and slang from various Spanish speaking countries, the “do’s and don’ts” of incorporating slang into speech, common misinterpretations, false friends and social etiquette.
- Classes meet once per week for 10 weeks (20 hours) during academic school year
- Summer Intensive classes meet 2 evenings a week for 5 weeks (20 hours)
- Grammar Focus Workshops meet 2 evenings a week for 2 weeks (8 hours); no assessment necessary – open to mixed levels
- Students must be 18+ years old for Fall, Winter & Spring Sessions, 16+ for the Summer Intensive
- New students with previous Spanish language experience must take assessment/placement test to determine correct level
- Assessments are offered 3 evenings prior to class start dates – no appointment necessary
- When registering, please indicate your level of choice and if you have a preferred evening for attendance (exception Summer Intensive); classes are offered depending upon enrollment, and all efforts are made to accommodate personal schedules
- Refund policy: 50% of the class fee if notified 5 days after class start date; 0% thereafter
- All instructors are experienced and are native speakers or have earned advanced degrees in Spanish with an emphasis in Education, Latin American Studies, or relevant areas of study
- Students do not receive letter grade; classes are pass/fail
- Certificates of Completion provided at final class; CEUs from the MN Department of Education also provided upon request
- Free tutoring for enrolled students (depending on availability)
- All classes and workshops are held on site: 1694 Como Ave St Paul MN
Class Level Descriptions:
- Each level incorporates cultural lectures and discussion, current events, art, music, seasonal traditions, idiomatic expressions, and relevant themes into the curriculum
- Every level practices speaking, listening, reading, and writing, as well as grammar
- For more information about class levels, read the Class Level Descriptions
If you would like further information or to enroll in the course, please contact Dominique Winders at 651-647-0191 x 340 or fill out the form below: