The Spanish language program offers seven levels of language learning for adults wishing to learn, improve, and practice their Spanish language skills. Four terms are offered per year (Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer Intensive) and inter-session workshops. The courses are student-centered, interactive, and taught in an intimate, casual, and professional learning atmosphere with an average of 12 students per class. Teachers are trained in the Communicative Language Teaching methodology and use a variety of teaching strategies and activities to encourage student participation and engagement. For more information about class levels, read the Class Level Descriptions.
Class Sessions and Workshops
Winter Workshop: Cultural Communication – November 29, December 1, 6, and 8
- Learn colloquial expressions, idioms and slang from various Spanish speaking countries, the “do’s and don’ts” of incorporating slang into speech, false friends and social etiquette.
- Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6:30-8:30 p.m.
- Cost: $80
- Target levels: High Beginning – Advanced
Winter 2017: January 10 – March 16, 2017
- Testing/Registration January 3, 4, and 5 at 6:30 p.m. (no appointment necessary)
- Classes meet Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday evenings; 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.
- Cost: $200
- $200 per semester/session (20 classroom hours) – payment is required to reserve your place in class.
- $80 workshops (8 classroom hours each)
- $25 one-time, new student registration/testing
- $25 textbook – available at front desk. One book covers 3 levels
- Payment may be made in cash, checks made out to the International Institute of Minnesota, or by credit card (VISA or MasterCard only) at the front desk or over the phone
Class Schedule: All classes meet one day per week from 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.
- Tuesday: Intermediate 1, Intermediate 2
- Wednesday: Beginning 1, Beginning 2, Beginning 3, Advanced
- Thursday: Beginning 1, Intermediate 3
- Classes meet once per week for 10 weeks (20 hours) during academic school year
- Summer Intensive classes meet 2 evenings a week for 5 weeks (20 hours)
- Grammar Focus Workshops meet 2 evenings a week for 2 weeks (8 hours); no assessment necessary – open to mixed levels
- Students must be 18+ years old for Fall, Winter & Spring Sessions; 16+ for Summer Intensive
- New students with previous Spanish language experience must take assessment/placement test to determine correct level
- Assessments offered 3 evenings prior to class start dates – no appointment necessary
- When registering, indicate level, and preferred evening for attendance (exception Summer Intensive); classes offered depending upon enrollment, all efforts are made to accommodate personal schedules
- Refund policy: 50% of the class fee if notified 5 days after class start date; 0% thereafter
- All instructors are experienced and are native speakers or have earned advanced degrees in Spanish with an emphasis in Education, Latin American Studies, or relevant areas of study
- Students not letter graded; classes are pass/fail
- Certificates of Completion provided at final class; CEUs from Minnesota Department of Education also provided upon request
- Free tutoring for enrolled students (depending on availability)
- All classes and workshops are held on site:
1694 Como Ave.
St. Paul, MN 55108
Central location between downtown Minneapolis and St. Paul, on bus
route 3A/3B, across from the Minnesota State Fairgrounds
- Free parking
- Each level incorporates cultural lectures and discussion, current events, art, music, and practices speaking, listening, reading, writing, and grammar
- For more information about class levels, read the Class Level Descriptions
If you would like further information or to enroll in the course, please contact Stacy Dietrich at 651-647-0191 x 340 or fill out the form below: