The International Institute of Minnesota is partnering with Saint Paul College in the college’s new Phlebotomy Technician Certificate Program. Our partnership includes:
- Pre-Phlebotomy Bridge course at the Institute to help students prepare for the Phlebotomy program.
- Extra academic support at Saint Paul College during the Phlebotomy program.
- Partial tuition scholarships for students who qualify.
- Career navigation services as students transition through the program and into the workplace.
The program consists of 17 credits. Preference will be given to students who have completed some of the required college coursework prior to the start of the program. To apply, complete the following application and email it to Brooke at BAshland@iimn.org. Brooke will then contact you for an interview to complete the application process and Phlebotomy New Client Checklist.
17-Credit Phlebotomy Certificate Required Courses at Saint Paul College
- HLTH 1410: Med Terms – 1 credit
- BIOL 1730:Human Body Systems – 3 credits
- PHIL 1722:Health Care Ethics – 3 credits
- SPCH 1710: Fundamentals of Public Speaking or
SPCH 1720: Interpersonal Communication – 3 credits
- HLTH 1430:CPR/First Aid or
HLTH 1432 CPR for the Professional Rescuer and Health Care Provider – 1 credit
- PHLB 1405: Phlebotomy – 4 credits
PHLB 1410: Phlebotomy Clinical Experience – 2 credits (100 hours and 100 successful blood draws)
Read St. Paul College’s Phlebotomy Certificate Program Requirements Guide for more information. Following training, graduates are eligible to take the Phlebotomy Technician Certification Examination administered through the American Society of Clinical Pathology (ASCP) Board of Certification.
What does a phlebotomist do?
- Collect blood from patients
- Calm and prep patients
- Transfer vials of blood to the lab
- Analyze results
- Communicate results to patients and physicians
What qualities and skills should a phlebotomist have?
- Calm and accurate under pressure
- Communicates effectively
Why become a phlebotomist?
- Increase your employability
- Gain clinical experience in a lab setting
- Great pre-training or additional training for nurses and medical lab techs