The Institute’s Nursing Assistant Training prepares New Americans to work as nursing assistants. Institute graduates work in nursing homes and other health care facilities. Nursing Assistants provide personal care for older people, including dressing, bathing, and taking vital signs, among other duties. After certification, graduates enter jobs paying $10.50 – $11.00 per hour. Dedicated Institute employment specialists assist graduates with the job search process.
This training program provides extensive skills and clinical instruction which incorporates cross-cultural training. Small class size, with a clinical instructor/student ratio of 1 to 6, results in the exceptional passing rate of 98% on the State Certification exam.
To qualify for Nursing Assistant Training, an applicant must:
- be an official refugee, asylee, permanent resident, or naturalized U.S. citizen
- speak and understand English well enough to succeed in class and communicate with staff and residents in the healthcare facilities where she/he will work
- receive public assistance, work at a low-income job, or be unemployed
- provide her/his own transportation, day care, and uniform
- be in good physical condition
- Pass the Institute’s English test and be interviewed (see To Enroll, below)
- Training is tuition-free.
- Students pay $20 for a background check and $100 for the state Nursing Assistant Certification test.
- Students are responsible for providing their own uniform and transportation to and from class.
Dates and Times:
- Classes last for either 8 or 11 weeks.
- Classes meet Monday – Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Calendar (dates vary by class)
- Winter Session: January – March
- Spring Session: April – June
- Summer Session: July – September
- Fall Session: October – December
- You must take our English test.
- Telephone registration for the February entrance test (Spring session) begins on January 28.
- Register to take the test by completing the form at the bottom of this page, or by leaving a message with your name and telephone number at 651-647-0191 x 314. Julie will return your call to complete your registration.
- If you pass our English test, you will be interviewed by a member of our program staff.
We also offer a pre-NAR class for students who need additional language skills before enrolling in our Nursing Assistant Training Program. This class is currently open only to those who take our English test. This class meets Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Register for the Test
Complete the form below to register for our entrance exam. After you register, you will get a letter in the mail giving you the date and time of the English test.