The Institute’s Nursing Assistant Training prepares New Americans to work as Nursing Assistants. Institute graduates work in nursing homes and other health care facilities. Nursing Assistants provide personal care for older people, including dressing, bathing, and taking vital signs, among other duties. After certification, graduates enter jobs paying $10.50 – $11.00 per hour. Dedicated Institute employment specialists assist graduates with the job search process.
This training program provides extensive skills and clinical instruction which incorporates cross-cultural training. Small class size, with a clinical instructor/student ratio of 1 to 6, results in the exceptional passing rate of 98% on the State Certification exam.
To qualify for Nursing Assistant Training, an applicant must:
- be an official refugee, permanent resident, naturalized U.S. citizen or have permission to work in the U.S.
- pass the Institute’s English test and be interviewed (see To Enroll, below)
- speak and understand English well enough to succeed in class and communicate with staff and residents in the healthcare facilities where she/he will work
- be in good physical condition
- Training is tuition-free.
- Students pay $20 for a background check and $100 for the state Nursing Assistant Certification test.
- Students are responsible for providing their own uniform and transportation to and from class.
Dates and Times:
- Classes last for either 8 or 11 weeks.
- Classes meet Monday – Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Calendar (dates vary by class)
- Winter Session: January – March
- Spring Session: April – June
- Summer Session: July – September
- Fall Session: October – December
- You must take our English test.
- Telephone registration for the March entrance test will open on January 12th.
- If you pass our English test, you will be interviewed by a member of our program staff.
We also offer a pre-NAR class for students who need additional language skills before enrolling in our Nursing Assistant Training Program. This class meets Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 8:30am – 11:30am. Please call Julie at 651-647-0191 x 314 for more information or to register for the class.