In partnership with Saint Paul College, the Institute offers financial and academic support to a select group of students who take Biology 1730: Human Body Systems (3 credits) through the “Academic Advantage” program. Biology 1730 is required for LPN Diploma, Phlebotomy Technician Certificate, and Pharmacy Technician programs. Applicants who are accepted in Academic Advantage (1) complete a “bridge” course (below), (2) continue in BIOL 1730, (3) participate in academic support classes, and (4) qualify for extra financial assistance in paying class tuition/fees.
Academic Advantage provides the extra support that many students need in this very challenging course. The “Academic Advantage” biology course has two parts:
- A “bridge” course prior to the beginning of the semester. This is a short, free course that prepares students to do well in biology. Participants learn medical terminology, practice note taking, reading, and memory skills, and learn to navigate the Saint Paul College system.
- BIOL 1730
- Weekly 4-hour biology class (2 hours lecture + 2 hours lab) AND
- Weekly 1-hour Academic Support class following the lecture class above. Students review key concepts & vocabulary, practice reading and note taking skills, and get the personal support they need to ensure success in the class.
In order to apply, applicants must:
- Complete an application form and have a brief interview
- Achieve a standard Accuplacer score of 60+ in reading OR have completed developmental classes
- Take a TABE test (offered at Saint Paul College) and/or
- Have been required to complete ESL/ESOL and/or college developmental courses
For more information or to apply for this program, contact Merle Greene at 651-647-0191 x 317.