In partnership with Saint Paul College, the Institute offers financial and academic support to a select group of students who take Biology 1730: Human Body Systems (3 credits) with the “Academic Advantage” program. Biology 1730 is required for LPN Diploma, Phlebotomy Technician Certificate, and Pharmacy Technician programs. Applicants who (1) are accepted in “Academic Advantage,” (2) complete a “bridge” course (below), (3) continue in BIOL 1730, and (4) participate in academic support classes will qualify for extra financial assistance in paying class tuition/fees.
“Academic Advantage“ provides the extra support that many students need in this very challenging course. The “Academic Advantage” biology course has two parts:
- A “bridge” course prior to the beginning of Fall Semester 2014. This is a short, free course that prepares students to do well in biology. Participants learn medical terminology, practice note taking, reading, and memory skills, and learn to navigate the Saint Paul College system.
- BIOL 1730. August 25 – December 19, 2014
- Wednesday, 8:00 – 9:55 a.m. Weekly 2-hour biology class AND
- Wednesday, 10:15 – 11:15 p.m. Weekly 1-hour Academic Support class following the Wednesday biology class above. Students review key concepts & vocabulary, practice reading and note taking skills, and get the personal support they need to ensure success in the class. AND
- Friday, 8:00-9:55 a.m. Weekly lab is part of BIOL 1730.
In order to apply, applicants must:
- Complete an application form and brief interview
- Achieve a standard Accuplacer score of 60+ in reading
- Take a TABE test (offered at Saint Paul College) and/or
- Have been required to complete ESL/ESOL and/or college developmental courses
For more information or to apply for this program, contact Merle Greene at 651-647-0191 x 317.